Five new words to start the year right
Top ten blogs for 2020 by Macquarie Dictionary
- The Word of the Year 2020 shortlist and the COVID Word of the Year 2020 shortlist
- Six beautiful words (from our series on words we think are beautiful)
- How to talk about COVID-19
- Different ways to talk about toilet paper
- 3500+ new words in the Macquarie Dictionary Eighth Edition
- New words to watch (part of our series on new words submitted for consideration to Macquarie Dictionary)
- Some new words from Kim Scott, author and writer of the foreword for the Macquarie Dictionary Eighth Edition
- A piece of Aussie slang: smoko
- Binary and non-binary gender words
- The usage of the word 'alot'
Word for Word #37 Word of the Year 2020
- adaptive clothing
- bee vectoring
- COVID normal
- inclusion rider
- panda bashing
- sky puppy
- suicide first aid
Selected new words from award-winning author Kim Scott
A quick look at the Macquarie Atlas of Indigenous Australia
(a musical direction) capricious; fantastic in style.
The Word Cloud consists of the most searched words each week.
Click on a word to reveal its full entry.
You can use your cursor to change the direction and speed of the Word Cloud.