Macquarie Dictionary Seventh Edition out now!
Mar 01, 2017
The Seventh Edition of the Macquarie Dictionary is here. It's a beautifully packaged, incredibly useful work for anyone who yearns to know more about the Australian English language. You can get your copy of the Macquarie Dictionary Seventh Edition here or wherever good books are sold.
Since the Macquarie Dictionary was first published in 1981, its reputation as Australia's national dictionary has gone from strength to strength. It is now nationally and internationally regarded as the standard reference on Australian English. A comprehensive and up-to-date account of our variety of English, it not only includes all those words and senses peculiar to Australian English, but also those common to the whole English-speaking world.
The Seventh Edition features:
- a comprehensive record of English as it is used in Australia, with evidence from corpus data, including Macquarie's own corpus of Australian English, Ozcorp
- thousands of new words and senses, such as grandcare, rumbler alarm, fitspiration, modest wear, cool burn, freecycle, grolar bear, digital tattoo, listicle, captain's call, robopoll, vamping, spiraliser and slackpacking
- illustrative phrases, many from Australian literature, which clearly show how a word is used in context
- words and phrases from regional Australia, such as boondie, prickly jack, bungarra, dragon's teeth and goose club
- words, both formal and informal, that date back to the Australian military experience of WW1, such as gezumpher, bullring and green envelope
- extensive usage notes
- etymologies of words and phrases
- foreword by Kate Grenville, international award-winning Australian author
Join the discussion!
Check out our featured articles:
2015 (18) 2015 (18)
2014 (27) 2014 (27)
2013 (10) 2013 (10)
2012 (6) 2012 (6)
2011 (2) 2011 (2)
2010 (3) 2010 (3)
2009 (3) 2009 (3)
2008 (2) 2008 (2)
1998 (1) 1998 (1)
Most searched terms
Join Macquarie Dictionary today!
Enjoy all the great features by subscribing today.