Word of the Year 2014 is here!
Jan 19, 2015
... baby hatch, daughterless technology, decision fatigue, facekini, normcore, precariat, typosquattting, wikiwash ... what will this year's winners be?
Voting is now open
The categories have been selected, the nominations are in, and it’s time for you to decide! Cast your vote for what you think is the most striking contribution to Australian English in 2014.
The public vote determines the People's Choice winner and the committee determines the Committee’s Choice winner.
Voting is open from Monday 19 January and closes Friday 30 January. The winning words will be announced on Wednesday 4 February. All new words are included in the Macquarie Dictionary Online.
The Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year 2014 Committee comprises:
- Dr Michael Spence (Vice-Chancellor, University of Sydney)
- Professor Stephen Garton (Pro-Vice-Chancellor, University of Sydney)
- Anne Bell (Director of University Libraries, University of Sydney)
- Catriona Menzies-Pike (Arts Editor, The Conversation)
- John Birmingham (Journalist and author of the cult classic He Died with a Falafel in his Hand, and the award-winning history Leviathan, and After America)
- Susan Butler (The Editor, Macquarie Dictionary)
Vote for words, win free books!
Everyone who votes for their favourite words in the Macquarie Word of the Year 2014 will automatically be entered into the draw to win a fantastic book pack from Pan Macmillan Australia, which includes a signed copy of John Birmingham’s brand new novel Emergence and a signed copy of Susan Butler’s The Aitch Factor, plus a copy of House of Karls, The Water Diviner and You Are Here.
Love talking about words?
We do! Find us on Facebook to stay up to date with all the Word of the Year news, follow us on Twitter for your daily dose of new words, and join us on Instagram for the chance to see your photo featured. Head over to our blog From the Editor to read about buzz words, spelling tips and more.
Join the conversation #macqwoty
Don't forget to enter the Word of the Year Photo Competition
Join the discussion!
There are no comments yet. Be the first to post a comment!