preposition a particle indicating: 1. distance or direction from, separation, deprivation, riddance, etc.: within a metre of; to cure of.
2. derivation, origin, or source: of good family; the plays of Shakespeare.
3. cause, occasion, or reason: to die of hunger.
4. material, substance, or contents: a packet of sugar; a suit of mohair.
5. a relation of identity: the city of Sydney.
6. connection or association: the queen of England.
7. belonging or possession, connection, or association: the queen of England; the property of all.
8. inclusion in a number, class, or whole: one of us.
9. objective relation: the ringing of bells.
10. reference or respect: talk of peace; what of Marie-Louise?
11. subject or theme: the history of English.
12. qualities or attributes: a man of tact.
13. time: of an evening.
14. US to or before (a designated hour of the clock): twenty minutes of five is 4.40.
15. the attribution of a quality to: it was good of you to come.
16. the attribution of a quality with respect to: fleet of foot.
17. Chiefly Archaic or Poetic the agent given after a passive verb, that is, by whom something is done: beloved of all; cursed of God; admired of his fellows.[Middle English and Old English, unstressed form of Old English æf away (from), distantly related to Latin ab, Greek apo. See off]